Saturday, June 11, 2011

Reaching For the Gold Ring

This is a picture from "the house" of my friends.
They have lived in this house for a long time and acquired a lot of beautiful things.
To go to their house is to go on an Easter egg hunt...you find treasures everywhere.
They have an 'art' of putting their collection together, and I will be showcasing some of the photos that my DH took there....like the two in this post...


This is one of my favorite parts of The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger. It is on page 211 of the paperback addition.


"Go ahead, then - I'll be on this bench right over here. I'll watch ya." I went over and sat down on this bench, and she went and got on the carrousel. She walked all around it. I mean she walked all the way around it. Then she sat down on this big, brown, beat up-looking old horse. Then the carrousel started, and I watched her go around and around. There were only about five or six other kids on the ride, and the song the carrousel was playing was "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". It was playing it a little jazzy and funny.


They asked me how I knew
My true love was true
Oh, I of course replied
Something here inside cannot be denied

They said someday you'll find
All who love are blind
Oh, when your heart's on fire
You must realize
Smoke gets in your eyes

"All the kids kept trying to grab for the gold ring, and so was old Phoebe, and I was sort of afraid she'd fall off the gd horse, but I didn't say anything or do anything. The thing with kids is, if they want to grab for the gold ring, you have to let them do it, and not say anything. If they fall off, they fall off, but it's bad if you say anything to them."

So I chaffed them and I gaily laughed
To think they could doubt my love
Yet today my love has flown away
I am without my love

"Boy, it began to rain like a b..t..d. In buckets, I swear. All the parents and mothers and every body went over and stood right under the roof of the carrousel, so they wouldn't get soaked to the skin or anything, but I stuck around on the bench for quite a while. I got pretty soaking wet, especially my neck and my pants. My hunting hat really gave me quite a lot of protection, in a way, but I got soaked anyway. I didn't care, though. I felt so damn happy all of a sudden, the way old Phoebe kept going around and around. I was d near bawling, I felt so d happy, if you want to know the truth. I don't know why. It was just that she looked so d nice, the way she kpt going around and around, in her blue coat and all. I wish you could've been there.


Now laughing friends deride
Tears I can not hide
Oh, so I smile and say
When a lovely flame dies
Smoke gets in your eyes
Smoke gets in your eyes


No comments:

Post a Comment